Below is a selection of reliable open access sources you may find useful to search for materials.
Search engines focused on discovering OA content: E-Books, E-journals, Articles, Chapters, Disseminations and more
- BASE – BASE is one of the world’s most voluminous search engines especially for academic web resources. BASE provides more than 150 million documents from more than 7,000 sources. You can access the full texts of about 60% of the indexed documents for free (Open Access). BASE is operated by Bielefeld University Library.
- CORE – aggregates all open access research outputs from repositories and journals worldwide and make them available to the public
- Digital Library of the Commons – The DLC provides free and open access to full-text articles, papers, and dissertations.
- 1findr – An inclusive discovery platform aiming to index articles in all peer-reviewed journals, in all fields of research, in all languages and from all over the world. Provides open access to 30+ million article
- F1000 Research OA platform – makes scholarly content freely available to everyone and contributes to the further development of the Open Access (OA) infrastructure.
- OpenAire – is one of the largest open scholarly record collections worldwide. It includes publications and collections of scientific data from European projects, ensuring the wide dissemination of research results worldwide.
- Open Humanities Press – access to peer reviewed journals and books published by the OHP.
- Open Knowledge (OKR) – the largest single source of development knowledge. The World Bank Open Knowledge Repository (OKR) is The World Bank’s official open access repository for its research outputs and knowledge products.
- Openarchives.gr – is the largest portal providing a single point of access to Greek scientific digital content of high quality.
- OpenDOAR – The Directory of Open Access Repositories – OpenDOAR is the quality-assured, global Directory of Open Access Repositories.
- UCL Press – established as the UK’s first fully open access university press in 2015, UCL Press has fast become one of the leading open access scholarly publishers in the UK, publishing both traditional peer-reviewed scholarly works and innovative research outputs.
- Directory of Open Access Journals DOAJ – DOAJ is a community-curated online directory that indexes and provides access to high quality, open access, peer-reviewed journals.
- JURN.org – Search millions of free academic articles, chapters and theses.
- Open Edition Journals – It is a journals platform for the humanities and social sciences.
- Open Library of Humanities (OLH) – The OLH publishing platform supports academic journals from across the humanities disciplines, as well as hosting its own multidisciplinary journal.
- Paperity – multidisciplinary aggregator of Open Access journals and papers.
- PLOS: Public Library of Science – Open Access publisher empowering researchers to accelerate progress in science and medicine by leading a transformation in research communication.
- PubMed Central PMC – a free full-text archive of biomedical and life sciences journal literature at the U.S. National Institutes of Health’s National Library of Medicine (NIH/NLM).
- Scientific Research Publishing (SCIRP)
- SSRN – Social Science Research Network
- Wellcome Open Research – useful for medical sciences. Provides all Wellcome researchers with a place to rapidly publish any results they think are worth sharing.
- Academy of Fine Arts Vienna
- BC Open Textbook Collection
- Directory of Open Access Books
- EU Publications
- Manitoba Open Textbook Initiative
- OAPEN Online Library
- Open Book Publishers
- Open Textbooks
- PDX Open
- SUNY Open Textbooks
- Librivox – Open access audio books.